• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Hi Guest
    I have made some behind the scenes changes.
    I have found and hopefully fixed a problem that stopped members uploading files.
    Please let me know if you spot any other problems like not being able to view threads that you could previously.
  • Hi Guest, The forum software has been updated!
    Please let me know if you spot anything that isn't working as expected.
    I hope you find your way around OK!!!
    Have a great Christmas Guest.
    Best Wishes
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.

Access or Excel.....Help Please

Evening Ray @rpjd99
Thank you for the reply, I can see where the line starting with alter is and sort of understand, I think there's a whole lot of reading to be done between now and me understanding that properly. Still cracking on when I have time but most of it seems to be spent reading and googling at the minute.

@SteveT , thank you very much for the book link, not the same as the one I just bought luckily. Already coming in handy. Cheers.

Kev.

Hi @Nclad
Just an idea, instead of learning Access( I had a go cant make head nor tails of it) have a go @ 'pandas' in python.
Easy enough to learn :think: ,you can scrape your data straight from the web or extract from excell,convert it to CSV files, or SQL,even use it like 'R' for analysing your data , draw graphs etc, etc
After not writing any proper python scrapers for databases for over 15 years, Im just trying to pick it up again in my free time and this pandas makes everything a lot easier to when I had to parse all my own stuff. (heres hoping the old braincells will fire up again :confused: )

Last edited:
It's a good idea that I might well drop back onto as I've just had a look at the pandas python website. But I've bought a book for Access and a book for Qlikview so I've got no excuses and should really give it a go. It's quite hard to learn all this whilst realistically still learning how to pick horses. Hopefully I can pick this up quicker than the horses!!!!! My only hope is that once all this comes together one should help the other.
But if all fails I will definitely be heading back to the python site, and probably back to amazon for a book on python!
Thanks for the advice @valiant thor
Kev.

Hi @Nclad
@SteveT , thank you very much for the book link, not the same as the one I just bought luckily. Already coming in handy. Cheers.
im glad i could be of help, i really need to learn alot more myself and i have some books on python as well if you need them just ask they were free also.
At the minute im trying to get my head around excel vba and have managed to make a scraper but it's nothing like what some of them have put up on here, very messy but it does work so i know i can do it even at my age lol.
cheers
steve

At the minute im trying to get my head around excel vba and have managed to make a scraper but it's nothing like what some of them have put up on here, very messy but it does work so i know i can do it even at my age lol.
Hi @SteveT
Youve done better than me, excel vba is another I cant get my head around for some reason :confused:
@Nclad
If you do decide to give pandas a go later on , I would use the Anaconda 2.7 package when putting python on your computer as it has all the bells and whistles pre loaded ;)

Last edited:
i have given up asking on excel forums because as soon as you tell them it is for horse racing they seem to ignore you after that.
Your not wrong there,also some pythonistas seem reluctant to help as well. :stinker:
For some reason anything to do with racing seems taboo,but if you say its for shares trading or stock charting they're only too willing to help, yet I would imagine share traders have destroyed more peoples pension funds and savings than bookies ever have, infact they make bookies look like father christmas :eek:

Hello people,

I've finally got my database built, but at the minute i feel like someone has given me a shiny new car to play with but refuses to give me the keys!

I've been using Qlikview to interrogate the database and look for trends on certain criteria, which is good, but what i would like to do is build a query/report that can be exported to excel with the last 3 or 5 figures of speed figures/ratings or trainer data but only for todays runners. Could someone help me understand how this is done.

Can i directly query the database from excel or is the report generated in access and exported?
How do i only get data from the 3 most recent entries?
How do i only request information from the horses that are running today?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Kev.

ArkRoyal

Administrator
Can i directly query the database from excel or is the report generated in access and exported?
You can do both.
How do i only get data from the 3 most recent entries?
MS Access 2007: Retrieve Top N records from a query
How do i only request information from the horses that are running today?
This really depends on how you have the data stored, for my setup I run a query in Access that links a table containing todays runners(Decs) and a table containing all past races(outings) and for each horse in the Decs table include all of its past runs from the outings table

Thanks @ArkRoyal , thats great. So just to clarify, the Decs table would be emptied and renewed each day and then report created.

Had a quick glance at the link too, looks interesting, give it a proper look tomorrow when i have more time. Is SQL relatively easy to pick up?

Thanks
Kev.