• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Aus vs UK racing handicap differences

Hi forum, I'm from Australia, trying understand UK racing better. Watching the UK races there are some issues that are confusing, and I cant seem to find an answer on the net.

To give you a comparison, in Aus handicapped races are run almost exclusively on the flat. Vast majority of races are Benchmark races (eg BM60, BM 64, BM70 and so on), the number correspond to the rating of the horse.

Leaving aside females and juveniles the system is pretty simple:

For example, in Victoria, in a BM70 race, the nominal (top weight) benchmark 70 horse always carries 60KG,
Horse A rated 70 carries 60KG,
Horse B rated 71 carries 60.5KG,
Horse C rated 69 carries 59.5 KG.

In the UK in relation to each of the disciplines, flat, hurdling and chasing, what is the nominal top weight? Why does it vary so much?

For example in Warwick 16 May:

R2 Novices' Hurdle the top weight Mister Showman was 72Kg,
R3 Novices Chase top weight Shelford was 71Kg,
R4 Handicap hurdle top weight The Grinder 77kg
R5 Handicap Chase top weight Godsmejudge 76kg
R6 Hunter chase top weight Mr Satco 80.5kg.

There seems to be a lot of variation has to how much the top rated horse has to carry. Can someone explain the fundamentals to me please.

Handicap races are different to non-handicap (novice, conditions, hunters etc).

Typically a jumps handicap will be top weight 11-12. The handicap will be restricted to say horses rated up to 140 (although in some expections a horse rates say 142 could run carrying 12-0).

Other horses then carry lower weights depending on their rating - e.g. 138 would carry 11-10.

If the top rated was 135, even though the race was open to 140, that top rated one would carry 11-12, and all other weights calculated from there.

There are some limited handicaps where the top weight may be 11-5 or 11-7.

On the flat the top weight could be 9-7, 9-9, 9-10, 9-12 or 10-0.

On the Racing Post it shows the race conditions which describe the weights to be carried.

In non-handicap races, the weights will be a set amount, e.g. 11-0 on jumps, or 9-0 flat. Then there will be extra weight added depending on the race conditions, such as previous wins above a certain class.

Some horses get weight taken off as an age allowance, or if they are female.

All weights are stones and pounds, which is the usual way in the UK.

It will state in the race conditions, but usually 7 pounds.

Unless the race is restricted to females, then no weight is taken off.

Back