1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
    Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the UK Betting Forum. Please consider registering, it is free!

If anyone would like this, help yourself . . .

Discussion in 'Spreadsheets' started by UK-21, Feb 11, 2017.

1. UK-21

UK-21 Foal

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been here, and either longer since I've put any hard-earned cash on a nag to pass the winning post ahead of the rest. Just popping back to offer up one of my spreadsheet thingies to anyone who might wish to use it. I've made a minor update to it since the last time I looked at it a year or so ago.

This one captures form and price data from the Racing Post racecard pages, and drops all of the data into a spreadsheet ready to crunch further or reference in other software tools. Rather than going down the route of scraping the underlying XML/HTML code, this one is a based on simple copying and pasting, something everyone who uses a PC will understand.

Ideal for anyone who doesn't want to pay the RP their monthly subs, this one's free with my compliments.

The file's on the end of this link - it requires a 32-bit version of Windows and Excel 2007 or better to use. It doesn't work with Microsoft Internet Explorer I'm afraid, so it's Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera.

http://www.uk-21.org/data/racecard-data-capture-tool.zip

Enjoy! :)

2. SteveT

SteveT Colt

That's great thank you very much for taking the time to share this

Ronald Shaw likes this.
  3. UK-21

UK-21 Foal

For anyone who's interest runs to the greyhounds, I've also recently updated a piece of work I originally rustled up over three years ago. Several of the contributors here, including AR, kindly did some testing of the initial BETA, and made suggestions for features that I ultimately included.

On these I've done a complete re-write of the code to take account of the fact that around eight months ago the RP completely reformatted their greyhound racecards, with the result that my orginal piece of work was rendered obsolete. Here are the links:
    http://www.uk-21.org/data/greyhound-racing-selection-tool.zip
    http://www.uk-21.org/data/greyhound-racing-selection-tool-64BIT.zip

As with all of my stuff, offered up as freebies for general use.

tonyafc, Graeme, ArkRoyal and 5 others like this.
  4. Graeme

Graeme Mare

Thanks for this - have considered greyhounds before but was a little dubious as to how I could start this looks very comprehensive and will take a good look over it when time permits = but thank you for the share in the meantime

ArkRoyal likes this.
  5. UK-21

UK-21 Foal

A hard one to crack, bearing in mind having to overcome a 25%-ish overround favouring the bookies. Still, the piece of work I've done is somewhat more scientific in its approach than throwing a dart race schedule. You can also amend the points weighting tables to your heart's content.

Graeme likes this.
  6. UK-21

UK-21 Foal

Sorry guys . . . . this one, and the horse race selection workbook, don't work anymore. :-(
    No prizes for guessing why . . .

I will get around to re-writing all of the underlying logic at some stage, but it may take a while. Apologies to those who use them. One of the risks of using data provided by another party over which you have no control. Boooo . . . . . .

OnTheNod and ArkRoyal like this.
  7. Celticshadow

Celticshadow Foal

8. UK-21

UK-21 Foal

Guys,
    If anyone's interested in taking the recoded RP online racecards data capture tool for an outing, you can now pull a copy of the revised model off of my web server at:
    http://www.uk-21.org/data/racecard-data-capture-tool.zip

I completed the work earlier today. I'm afraid that due to the underlying structure of the Racing Post's new online racecards (complex or what), only MOZILLA FIREFOX can be used to capture the data, and my spreadsheet model is limited to crunching data for races with a maximum of 20 runners. Due to all of the variables and in how the data elements are presented, and the lack of placeholders in many of the strings that combine these, the size of the workbook is c3.5Mb before any data is captured and entered into it - so if you're running an older machine with a slower processor and being a bit light on the RAM, this may not work too well for you. Having said that, the laptop I've used is six years old and carries 4GB of RAM, and it functions acceptably for me.

I've updated the idiot's guide, so it should be a straightforward exercise to use it. Enjoy with my compliments. :handgestures-thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    nagwa, Celticshadow, YoVa and 2 others like this.
  9. YoVa

YoVa Foal

Thanks for that uk-21.
    For those looking for racecards in CSV format with everything processed for you for less than 10p per day, I came across www.racecardguru.com
    The website is nowhere near up & running yet, but you can subscribe.

10. Celticshadow

Celticshadow Foal

Hi @UK-21

Apologies should have replied long ago but lots of personal stuff in the way at the mo and forseeable, just to say thanks very much for updating your sheet. I myself and am sure others are grateful for your efforts and willingness to share, much appreciated this end.

Kind Regards

Paul

11. UK-21

UK-21 Foal

Has anyone who has used this found any major bugs? Not just the odd feed-through error but fundimental failures where whole categories of data aren't captured? I as
    I haven't used it myself since posting it up on the server.

When testing the spreadsheet, I tested it on a fair number of racecards, containing all sorts of variables, but it's inevitable that there are some combinations of data that I didn't stumble upon that will generate raspberries. The joys of software development - particularly the stuff that integrates with other stuff; it just ain't possible to anticipate every last variation of potential failures - combinations of operating system, environment, versions of integrated apps, local users system configs yada yada yada.

Cheers.

12. BoBoFett

BoBoFett Newbie

Hello Everyone,

Enjoying the thread.
    BoBoFett

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  13. Chesham

Chesham Sire

Spammer alert

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    Sigster, dicko14 and dave58 like this.