• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Neural Networks anyone?

MrDamon

Colt
I wonder has anyone else here tried to utilize Neural Networks in their Sports-Betting and would be up for a little open discussion on the subject.

I have NeuroXL for Microsoft Excel and while I have used it a little on Football, I never did have the time or concentration to actually learn a little more about the tool itself and the parameters that affect the outcomes of the training. As a result, I would still class myself as a rookie with very little knowledge about the terminology involved etc so be gentle :)

Hope to hear from some of you soon, either positive or negative.

I believe the Prosoccer site boasts

Soccer Games Predictions
Generated By
Neural Network Software

but I also recall someone in the dark place posting that they had tried every which way on that site but couldn't find an edge!

:(

been ages since I last used Artificial Neural Networks directly, but been subscribing to a site that produces neural ratings for horses that works quite well.

pika said:
been ages since I last used Artificial Neural Networks directly, but been subscribing to a site that produces neural ratings for horses that works quite well.

me too. it makes my brain hurt, so I use another neuro related product :doh:

334482.jpg

pika said:

What kind of format do they present their findings in Pika? Just a single number or something a little more detailed?

Just a single number for each horse. So in that sense it is not much different from RP, Massey or Timeform ratings.

Hi Mcbee,

Thanks for sharing the info, is there anywhere on there that tells the user what each column heading stands for?

CP - Career performance assessment based on weight/class algorithms
CF - Current form measured by class/weight algorithms
TIM - Revolutionary time assessment (adjusted algorithm)
JA - Jockey ability algorithm
TA - Trainer ability algorithm
JT - Jockey/trainer combination algorithm
WT - Wet track performance algorithm
Crs - Course suitability algorithm
D - Distance suitability algorithm
$ - Prizemoney earned algorithm
BP - Barrier position (course & distance) algorithm
DLR - days since last run algorithm

Theres another forum I look in on which has page after page on this subject using the site above.
So far I can't see anybody making money from it.
i think its another smoke and mirrors idea, below is how one person describes it, save yourself the time, and don't bother to read it.
Horses are run on "wrong ground-wrong distance-not trying-etc-etc" and if somebody thinks they can set up a maths formula for a computer to to select the winner by getting "smart"- well good luck to them.

"Neural factor Analysis Is alternative race form assessment methodology called NEURAL FACTOR ANALYSIS.
Artificial Neural networks have been around since the 1950's, but only more recently have they been applied to solve an ever increasing number of complex real world problems dealing with such areas as medical research, law enforcement, mechanical system diagnostics and the environment.
With this as a background, Racing and Sports set about applying the neural networking to race form analysis.
Neural networking, without going deeply into it, is a tool essentially used to analyse information in a structured way by collecting numerous mathematical models to emulate actual observances.
The advantage of Neural Networks is their ability to even out distortions in input data. They are also capable of "learning" the process to which they are applied.
Neural Networks are generally good for solving problems which tend to be too complex for traditional analysis tools such as clustering algorithms, multivariate statistics, fuzzy logic etc.
In many respects, Neural Networks are very well suited to problems that humans are able to solve but other more rigid, traditional methods are not.
That's why we decided to investigate them for an application to find solutions in race form analysis.
Racing and Sports has investigated the various types of Neural Networks which would best suit this purpose and again without getting too technical opted for a variation of the supervised algorithm.
In other words, the Racing and Sports modified neural network takes the input data and supervises it through the network system to produce a set of Neural Weightings as an output.
These Neural Weightings assigned to each horse are an indication of the best (higher) to worst (lower) based on the factor input values decided upon by the user.
The input information is processed through the Neural Network by a mathematically derived "engine" which drives the system. This engine is composed by a large number of interconnected processing elements which receive and process the input algorithms.
As you know, the analysis of race form is a very complex task. A single weight rating , a la Don Scott is not the only way to solve the pre race riddle.
Traditional weight ratings are but one of these factors and instead of adding a kilo here and taking one off there for other inputs like barrier, consistency etc, the Neural Networks offer an alternative approach to form analysis by combining all the factors mathematically.
In the development of the "neural engine" the Racing and Sports computers have run at least 2.5 million simulations based around the various input algorithms.
It is these simulations the "engine" draws upon to generate the output weightings of the network.
With so much racing, the time now required by conventional form techniques would drive one insane, if every day was devoted to "doing the form" old style.
This is where the power of computers, technology and mathematics come into play.
Racing and Sports has a big investment in this "state of the art" Neural Factor Analysis and is certain that all our development in fine tuning has now delivered a form tool like no other.
At this juncture, Racing and Sports has incorporated just 12 input form factors into the Neural Network.
In our trialing period, we have been astounded by the consistency these factors have delivered.
The Neural Weightings derived have shown an excellent record in identifying the main chances.
Of course there is no "magic bullet" in form assessment. At the end of the day we are dealing with 500kg animals with emotions and feelings like the rest of us.
They do not, and never will, always conform to a mathematical formula or a single numerical figure, no matter what.
However, as a guide as to identifying who the main group of horses are likely to be, in the outcome of a race based on the input data, we believe Neural Factor Analysis will give an excellent starting point.
It will provide a "new edge" in form analysis and offer a robust framework within which to assess each runner.
Early evidence suggests this is an alternative way of producing consistent results from your form assessment.
The neural factor analysis is NOT a system.
It takes the traditional class/weight correlation algorithm, adds a new race time algorithm and then integrates the other peripheral elements like jockey, trainer, course, distance, barrier to give a final list of weightings for the main chances.
This final listing depends of course on the users preference of the algorithms (Preference Scale ) and should serve as a very helpful guide to punters desiring to "fine" a field down to the main chances for closer examination.
The user sets the level of importance from the Preference Scale (1 to 5 or No) for each algorithm and the output weightings are listed within seconds.
The Neural factor analysis will quickly identify for you just who are the main chances in each race, the highest to the lowest based on the factor weightings."

Thanks for the information so far guys.

I wonder does anyone have any recommendations for a good source giving examples explaining how/why altering different parameters when training affects the outcomes? It is the missing link for me and early efforts some years ago to research topics like learning rate, weight, nuerons and momentum were met with nothing but white-papers and other detailed scientific data that don't go well for someone with an attention deficit.

I know Neural Networks is not a layman subject but I was hoping there might be a source that has attempted to put it in laymens terms???

Not sure if you are still looking at this but if you are and in need of a relevant book you should read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1843440024

A few years old now but one of few texts that covers the subject relevant to horse racing.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert but have dabbled in various machine learning with varying degrees of success. The one thing that is absolute key to the whole subject is how the data is presented. What appears obvious to a human eye is not so for a computer. You need to be very clear in the data prep.

Back