• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Racing Terminology Q & A

markfinn

Sire
There are lots of trade terms journalists use that apply only to horse racing and some are conflicting and far from obvious

Tonight we have a horse " Dallguista " running at Wolverhampton who reportedly carried her head high in last race - I have googled this and there are conflicting answers about the positive or negative aspect of this action -

Anyone have an comment about this particular question -

any other questions on this general subject of trade jargon

When i first started taking a keen interest i found some of the double dutch indulged in to be confusing and i felt patronizing.TV pundit Julian Wilson would always call Doncaster Town Moor and York The Knavesmire and of course in those days we did not have the luxury of google to sort it. I think to some extent this still happens and does not encourage the young fresh blood which is always a need.

Having said the above and 40yrs later i do sometimes find myself guilty of posting in a similar way,assuming that all members will get my giste when its possible some do not.Re reporting on or describing horses behaviors ,unfortunately different words will always have different meanings to some.? RI often does my nut in because they give two accounts for each horses run.The abbreviated in running comments and the sometimes more detailed note book ones and it often appears to myself that one contradicts the other.!

Does this mean - don't back it in close run races as we see so many lose by head or neck
carried her head high.................I think its generally taken as a negative,but what i do is investigate all past runs because you will often find the animal concerned has won races while doing so.

Without Prejudice -
The splonks up the arm with the thumb its carpet bar,neves on your blabber is cockle with the fiddlers.:)

Mick you have finally succumbed to Euro babble and is quote this taken straight from the recent Brussels high commissioner for plain speach Dr S Unwin ........ in which case - WE STRONGLY- advise you take no further action in this matter ----------until we have run this by elf and safety and the lawyers dept for affirmative about any negative or positive connotations that or may not be arising from taking such actions.

You have probably opened a can of worms there markfinn markfinn

Horses tend to put there head in the air because of pain, usually the wrong bit or back pain, or it is being asked to do something it doesn't want to do.

Dellaguista has never carried her head high so I don't understand the form comment and she certainly didn't carry her head high last time when reported.

I will translate it is old school slang talk which was used by on course bookmakers to enable them to communicate in front of the punters.

The fav is 11/8 and being well backed at this price,its 3/1 bar and horse no 7 on your card is 10/1 with the silver ring books.

PS yours via Stanley would sit well in the current day bookmakers T&Cs.

Last edited:
Bit of tic tac

Evens… Scotch…. wave fingers on both hands up and down
11/10…Tips… touch the tips of fingers on each hand
5/4……Wrist…. Touch the left wrist with right hand
11/8….Up the Arm…. move right hand between left wrist and elbow
6/4….earole….touch left ear with back of right hand
13/8…. earole and bits, touch left ear with right hand and bring left hand up to touch right hand
7/4….Shoulder…touch left shoulder with right hand
15/8…. Double tap….tap left shoulder with right hand
2/1….Bottle… touch nose with right hand
9/4…. Top of the head…. Touch the top of head with both hands
5/2….Face…. both hands on cheeks
11/4…. Elef…. Both hands on cheeks and then touch fingertips
3/1….Carpet…. touch chin with back of right hand in an upward movement
100/30…. Burlington Bertie….touch chin with back of right hand in an upward movement and then with both hands touch fingertips in front of face
7/2…. Carpet and a half…. Touch chest with both hands
4/1…. Rouf… Draw an L shape with the right hand in front of chest
9/2….shoulders….touch both shoulders with both hands
5/1…. Hand…..touch right shoulder with right hand

markfinn markfinn rp notebook comments for Zest.
NOTE-BOOK
, who had an obvious chance at the weights on this drop in class, has often let herself down by racing too keenly, but she settled well here despite the lack of pace. In what became a sprint to the line, she was always well
positioned just off the leader and then found enough once in front to hold her rivals at bay. She's to be covered by Oasis Dream at some point, so how long she remains in training remains to be seen.
seemed to travel more smoothly than she sometimes does behind the leaders and kept on well to finish a clear second best. She has now been placed twice in three starts at Listed level, so is capable of winning one.
is a keen-going sort and the drop back to 7f promised to suit, but the lack of pace was no good to her and she wouldn't settle. Racing handily, chasing the leader, was something of an advantage given the way the race was
run, however.
, with a visor given a try, got upsides a quarter of a mile out but her challenge quickly fizzled out. She's been disappointing this year.
3101a
was never in contention, and this speculative foray didn't come off.
, third at Kempton, couldn't muster the pace to get into this and was disappointing also.
was a bit keen, as she often is, but she picked up well from off the pace. She'd have been interesting back in a big field handicap over this trip, although she's likely to see her mark raised a fair bit for this, and in any case
she has her valuable black type now.
, tried in cheekpieces, was again keen enough. She didn't see a great deal of room passing the 2f pole and although she finished strongly when out in the clear, the leaders had got away. She may need a return to further.
, up 5lb after a fast-ground win at Nottingham, travelled well but couldn't pick up in this softer ground.
QUOTES
With only four runners it was always going to be tricky, and they didn't go very quick.
Zest
hit a flat spot down the hill when the pace lifted but once she was into the straight she balanced nicely and let down well - Daniel
Muscutt, jockey

Bit of tic tac

Evens… Scotch…. wave fingers on both hands up and down
11/10…Tips… touch the tips of fingers on each hand
5/4……Wrist…. Touch the left wrist with right hand
11/8….Up the Arm…. move right hand between left wrist and elbow
6/4….earole….touch left ear with back of right hand
13/8…. earole and bits, touch left ear with right hand and bring left hand up to touch right hand
7/4….Shoulder…touch left shoulder with right hand
15/8…. Double tap….tap left shoulder with right hand
2/1….Bottle… touch nose with right hand
9/4…. Top of the head…. Touch the top of head with both hands
5/2….Face…. both hands on cheeks
11/4…. Elef…. Both hands on cheeks and then touch fingertips
3/1….Carpet…. touch chin with back of right hand in an upward movement
100/30…. Burlington Bertie….touch chin with back of right hand in an upward movement and then with both hands touch fingertips in front of face
7/2…. Carpet and a half…. Touch chest with both hands
4/1…. Rouf… Draw an L shape with the right hand in front of chest
9/2….shoulders….touch both shoulders with both hands
5/1…. Hand…..touch right shoulder with right hand

Nice vid of the guys in action - some nice narrative under hubbub

Back