• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Staying anonymous on the internet with a VPN account.

Recently I signed up for a VPN "Virtual Private Network" account with hidemyass.com.

Today I tested my VPN session, testing it against: https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/

It showed my anonymous local IP proxy, my actual IP public address along with the VPN server, I was not happy about this.

Your local IP addresses:
10.200.7.xxx
Your public IP addresses:
86.12.6.xxx
78.129.160.xxx (privax.com server)

Anybody who wants to see your real IP address, can so if you run a VPN session on either the Chrome or Firefox browsers, they run the WebRTC function, you are safe using Internet Explorer 11.

After spending several hours I came up with the fixes.

Chrome: Download and install extenstion "block WebRTC".
Firefox: Firefox users can actually turn off the default WebRTC functionality directly in Firefox settings by typing ‘about:config’ into the search bar, and browsing to the ‘media.peerconnection.enabled’ option and setting it to FALSE.

With these settings in place, I find I am now anonymous on the internet.

Mike.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, TheBluesBrother.

I'm new here and I only just found your post - so sorry for reviving an old long-forgotten thread.

Even though I'm a technical idiot, your post frightened me because it seems to my small brain that Firefox and Chrome both by default expose your home network device ID (eg laptop, tablet) as your "local" IP address.

Someone in other forum suggested that home router IP's are also exposed and could be exploited by hackers to redirect traffic and steal financial information. Of course, I believe everything I read on the internet so this must be true?

From my googling about, it seems the problem still exists today.

Seems it's not a problem when using Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge since webRTC isn't built in (I think).

But...

Firefox and Chrome do still broadcast your "public" IP, even after disabling/blocking webRTC. It's just that https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/ can't see it.

If you visit Who You Are | Whats my IP, Why do I need to know Whats my IP or IP Address Information — IP Location Geocoding — HTTP Request Headers — TCP/IP OS Fingerprinting — BrowserLeaks.com (and probably other similar sites) they will display your public IP address.

Of course, if using a VPN, this public IP address should be the VPN location.

Worse, Chrome still has no way to disable webRTS. The extensions available seem just to block the broadcasting of local device IP's.

Scarily, Google appear to support and encourage device fingerprinting by broadcasting separate "Unique Device ID's" for any microphone and webcam on your computer or tablet. More information at WebRTC Leak Test — Local IP Address Discovery — Media Device ID Fingerprints — BrowserLeaks.com if anyone is interested. That site also has suggestions about what (little) you can do about it.

Good luck, and thanks for posting about this.

I came late here but is good to know in case you want to protect your accounts of hacker attacts. Thanks

Indeed, dicko14 dicko14 , many don't make clear that logs are kept, some don't and if tight security is One's goal then it's always best to check with the provider first. A trail is quite difficult to conceal; Tor may help security/anonymity but it's not 100%, but for me it's decent enough and I occasionally use it to access Pirate Bay as it's blocked by my ISP.

For those who are interested in exploring ways to protect their privacy on the web, as well as generally, this book contains useful information:
Code:
https://bookdl.com/978-1522914907/

It can be read with Apple's iBooks application.

Ray

There is some recent interesting debate on the justice for punters forum concerning the Bookmakers use of iesnare,including a defense of same from an industry insider.He claims its used to protect us,i must confess i do not agree.The problem from a punters perspective is that if you block it you will be flagged up and if you allow it the information will be used against you.A win-win outcome for the Books.

Back