• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Why Betting Systems Can Help The Human Race More Than A Horse Race

Members will be aware of the pie chart shown under each race on odds checker. Unfortunately this reflects number of bets not size. When you see one going blue all over yet not shown on the pie chart this can indicate that the fiddlers are taking fewer but larger bets for the horse in question and could be viewed as a positive.?

Its also clear that some bookmakers price software is connected to bet fair which always puzzles me RE early prices as frequently the exchange has a tenner liquidity at the price yet bookmakers who will have a very large T/o on the race are influenced by same.?

On balance their caution costs them and this is yet another example of the negative effect of employing bean counters as opposed to people with an interest in and some knowledge of horse race betting. !

As mick mick has already stated. They are just bean counters (mostly very young ones at that) with no knowledge or care for the sport whatsoever, they just care about their monthly salary and bonuses.

I cannot understand as to why these "Bookmakers" close accounts. If I were a Bookmaker I would not need to close accounts as I would have so many new customers by way of making a point of advertising the big wins that I had paid out to punters each month (no names though). The big wagers from the "known" investors would be layed off quite easily or if my race reader/stats man thought that we should stand the bet, then so be it.

Am I being naive? I do not think this is the case, although some may think "I should get in the real world" :lolsign:

As mick mick has already stated. They are just bean counters (mostly very young ones at that) with no knowledge or care for the sport whatsoever, they just care about their monthly salary and bonuses.

I cannot understand as to why these "Bookmakers" close accounts. If I were a Bookmaker I would not need to close accounts as I would have so many new customers by way of making a point of advertising the big wins that I had paid out to punters each month (no names though). The big wagers from the "known" investors would be layed off quite easily or if my race reader/stats man thought that we should stand the bet, then so be it.

Am I being naive? I do not think this is the case, although some may think "I should get in the real world" :lolsign:
Agree it's a mystery why any business continually turns away bought and paid for ( through their adds and high street prescence) willing customers you would think they could lay off all day . The problem day to day is the money pool - it is basicly the same money moved from race to race 15 mins before the of. The chances of laying of massive amounts at this point are not realistic . The betting bots are constantly hoovering up any slight edges The only answer is a national mutual . The other point being tissue / early prices for me Ladbrokes is the best guide if they want me to back it why do I want to back it , if it's over 8/1 at 1.05pm race day with lads it's not likely to win. Most bookmakers now seem to treat horse racing as loss leader in order to get you mug betting on football etc

Last edited:
markfinn markfinn Re your thoughts on Ladbrokes years ago when they took a market position for or against one this was respected by punters and there peers.Imo these days not so because as horse racing bookmakers they have lost the plot and the rep and the right.

They are all the same Once a business on this nature is run to profit a myriad of owners it can be no other way or the chief gets the chop smaller business,s make take a gamble and back their principals judgment the argument goes round and round and there is only a few answers go under cover and take what prices are available and stand the associated costs or go on the exchanges. We cannot expect these big companies that are possibly owned the punters own pension provider in some cases to dole out largess. We are critiscinh them carrying out good judgment, if it Northern Rock all over again we would be up in arms about shoddy business practices. I am not sticking up for them just putting a case . I have stated before if we have customers that we can not profit from we don't serve them at least not with out rebalancing the price to match the risk,this is where they are remiss they should not close accounts but offer restricted odds to a decent level of staking

Re the above it would be interesting to know what amount of turnover and the profit the would amount to. That we share holding punters would have a case for pressing for a change from within the collective agm's. The fact that this is not happening may reflect the position that horse racing is not as profitable as we believe

Last edited:
I think it was the beginning of April Ladbroke followed Coral by introducing a plastic card that had to be used if you want BOG, the max you can have is £100.

A lot of betting shops have a monopoly as they can be situated miles away from the next shop.

The last time i struck a bet with betting chain in side a race track i could not take a price

There are so many rules depending on where you bet, yet it is the same horses in the same race i.e. the same product.

Very strange.

Arkle

I know someone who spends plenty of time going round the London Shops and the same firms will implement different terms even when in close proximity depending on what the nearest competition is currently doing.My contact feels its not about attracting horse racing business but rather down to getting bodies in the shop with the hope that they will use the FOBTs.!

Members will be aware of the pie chart shown under each race on odds checker. Unfortunately this reflects number of bets not size. When you see one going blue all over yet not shown on the pie chart this can indicate that the fiddlers are taking fewer but larger bets for the horse in question and could be viewed as a positive.?

Its also clear that some bookmakers price software is connected to bet fair which always puzzles me RE early prices as frequently the exchange has a tenner liquidity at the price yet bookmakers who will have a very large T/o on the race are influenced by same.?

On balance their caution costs them and this is yet another example of the negative effect of employing bean counters as opposed to people with an interest in and some knowledge of horse race betting. !
Now that Corals and Ladbrokes have retreated from odds checker - what is the feeling of its worth in reporting the real state of the market

Now that Corals and Ladbrokes have retreated from odds checker - what is the feeling of its worth in reporting the real state of the market
Tbh i feel its been lacking in worth for a long while and Re your above i only take note of B365 and WH Re the significance or otherwise of price movements. While i do not know for sure i suspect that these two will take some decent collective monies before shortening a price whereas the rest ( inc Lad - Coral ) are just lemmings.

With all the stunts they have pulled in recent years i think most of the large firm Bookmakers have lost creditability with there customers so its no wonder that Bet Fair can dictate the markets.

Tbh i feel its been lacking in worth for a long while and Re your above i only take note of B365 and WH Re the significance or otherwise of price movements. While i do not know for sure i suspect that these two will take some decent collective monies before shortening a price whereas the rest ( inc Lad - Coral ) are just lemmings.

With all the stunts they have pulled in recent years i think most of the large firm Bookmakers have lost creditability with there customers so its no wonder that Bet Fair can dictate the markets.
Of all bookies both Corals & Lads in particular were known for backdoor stable connections with special betting arrangements in what amounted “tips for cash “in these days of large corporate governance and shareholder power - are such connections frowned up and discouraged

Of all bookies both Corals & Lads in particular were known for backdoor stable connections with special betting arrangements in what amounted “tips for cash “in these days of large corporate governance and shareholder power - are such connections frowned up and discouraged
Back in the day Ladbrokes had much respect from there peers as well as us punters and when they took a stand alone market position for or against one people paid attention but not so during recent years when imo as horse racing bookmakers they have become sad clowns.

Re obtaining and making best use of info gleaned from connections i think Paddy now seeks to emulate and they certainly appear to have the third eye when it comes to obtaining additional earns from R4 deductions by shortening one just prior to the public announcement that its now a N/r. !

I remember that I used to start betting on horse racing. Now I don’t follow this type of betting much, but I like watching football and betting in this sport more.

Back